Tuesday, February 9, 2010

1st or 3rd impressions ?

I am in Japan. I am actually back in Japan.
The first time I stepped on the Japanese land, I was barely 19, had 3 Japanese friends living in the Kansai Area, could barely speak Japanese.

I looked like that:

Tired, happy, amazed, lost, excited...

And Japan looked like that:

crowded, colorful, noisy, busy...

...yummy...

...technologically advanced...

...respectful towards the so many rules and law...


...traditionally beautiful...


My perception of Japan was pretty much like that:

I would not wear the same colors people did, I had come from my picture whose blue, white and red colors contrasted the Japanese ones. They were watercolor and I, gouache. I then could not act nor participate to the whole picture; an evasive mix of beautiful sceneries with blurred colors. A grey side of things hiden below a good dash of prettyness. Still an amazing country in which I did not have any bearings, I was only a temporary visitor.



The third time I stepped on the Japanese land, I was almost 21, had a 50 more Japanese and other friends living in the Kansai Area and spoke Japanese fluently in everyday life.


I actually look like that:


Tired, happy, amazed, acquainted with the environment, excited...


And Japan looks like that:

...peaceful, colorful, quiet, routine...


...delicious...


...traditionally beautiful...

... technology late and lack of obedience in some areas...


It took me no more than a week to feel like kind of home, a week to forget the cultural fronteers between Japanese and westerners. I can feel and touch some aspects of the Japanese culture, participate and be a temporary resident.


Kansai Gaidai and its international community helps probably a lot, but even though I am still not, and will not be, fully watercolor, I am something in between, some international color that goes either with Japan as well as it goes with Brazil or Kenya without damaging the host picture nor erasing mine.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice and fun interplay between text and photos, and a nice contrast of your then and now situations. Your impressions provide a good explanation of your position here and give your readers a good idea of your ethnographic authority. Looking forward to your further observations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please add the disclaimer and the Creative Commons license.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
Cette création par http://franpanese-rantings.blogspot.com/ est mise à disposition selon les termes de la licence Creative Commons Paternité-Pas d'Utilisation Commerciale 2.0 France.